Friday, September 7, 2012

Grandparents Day

At the children's school today was Grandparents day. Each child's grandparents were invited to spend the morning at the school for donuts and coffee and an adorable show put on by each class. It was very special to both my parents and children. I started to reminisce about my own grandparents. Each so very special in their own way. I miss them so much and take comfort in knowing that all of them are looking down on us.

My mom's mom passed away with Leukemia when I was in the second grade. I understood, but still too young to really know what was going on. I remember her as a very loving woman. Our family took a trip to Florida with them before she passed and it was such an amazing time that I will forever cherish. I remember that she smiled a lot and always tried to keep me out of trouble. Her husband, my Grandfather passed away with congestive heart failure and complications with diabetes in the summer of my Freshman-Sophomore year of high school. As long as I can remember, he was in a wheelchair. I could talk to him about anything and he would laugh so hard. He was always quick to hand me money to go order a pizza. If you know me, you know I LOVE me so pizza! He nicknamed all of us and mine was "Pistol". One day, I asked him why he called me that, his response was "your fast as one and always into everything". I dearly loved that man and had a very hard time dealing with his death. There are still times to this very day I am still very emotional about it. I miss him and always will. If you ask any one on that side of the family, each of them has their own hysterical story to share about him. He was proud of each of us and loved to laugh.

Unlike my children, I was blessed to have a wonderful relationship with both sets of grandparents. My dad's dad passed when I was very young. The only things I remember was he was very tall, really nice, and so funny. One of the things that sticks out is always saying to him "Can you say piggy-wiggly?" and he would make a funny face and then respond with "I can't say piggy-wiggly." We thought that was so funny and would try to convince him that he just said it. At his funeral, I didn't understand what was going on, all I knew was my aunts, uncles, and cousins were exchanging stories of funny things that he did throughout the years. Then, I remember my oldest sister crying uncontrollably in the car, and then watched my Grandma walk by with tears streaming down her face. I didn't really know what to feel or really what was going on, but I remember feeling sad for my sister. My paternal grandmother was this little petite woman who was very sweet. You never knew what she was going to get into. For example, at one time she was the oldest woman to ride Tower of Terror at Disney World. She lived a long life and was still partying at her 100th birthday party. She passed away when Marissa was 5 months old. It was hard to let her go, but I am thankful I got to spend as much time with her as I did. The last picture I took of her was her holding Marissa for the first time. That is one picture I hope to keep forever.

Grandparents are very special and I'm so glad that my children have the opportunity to have a special relationship with my parents. Although Brent isn't in the picture, I know that his Dad would have been a big part of their life as well. I guess his mom just isn't to the grandparent thing - she's never personally seen Marissa and only saw Tommy and Casie two or three times for about an hour each time. I told Brent that his mother is more then welcome to call the children whenever she wants. But, she acknowledges all of them, or none of them (i.e this year she only sent Casie a birthday card and not the other ones). But, either he didn't relay the message or maybe she just doesn't care. I don't know, but it's not my problem - it's her loss.

With that being said, take a moment out and show some love and respect to your Grandparents, where ever they may be. God Bless and Much Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment