Follow by Email

Monday, September 10, 2012

Ghost Stories

I remember as a child making the move from the only house I ever knew to the one my parents still reside in to this day. It was the summer before I started the second grade. The children in the new neighborhood were so different, yet they all shared the same concern. They each told how the area was very haunted. Some claimed that it was Indian burial grounds, other's told a story how you can't walk down the ally on the night of Halloween, and then there was a story about an old farm house that's still standing. When I started to get freaked out about it, my parents always reassured us that it was nothing. However, when my oldest sister got a job at a nursing home in the area - some truth started to come out about these tales.

When I go down that street and pass that old farm house, I'm very intrigued to know more about it. So, I started my search. There was very limited details of it, so it was hard to get going. But, I remembered about five years ago I purchased a book called "The Encyclopedia of Louisville". Inside this book, there was an article that explained what happened in this home. That was a good jump start and finally the information started to flow.

Apparently, this house was originally built in 1830's by an early Jefferson County landowner. When he passed, he left the property to his son, Albert Herr, who rebuilt the home in 1877. The son was a very successful farmer who raised cattle, trotting horses and sheep. His home was called "Magnolia Stock Farm". Not only was he a successful farmer, but he was also the lead in developing roadways through this county. He eventually got married and had five children.

On April 15, 1891, his daughter was married on the property and had a guest list that consisted of people throughout the city and surrounding counties. After the ceremony, the guests were treated to a  meal. Back in those days, it was accustomed to have mushrooms, ice cream, cake, and chicken salad. Once the meal was completed, the couple left for Cincinnati where they would board a train bound for Niagara Falls.

Food poisoning wasn't very common back then and it is believed that the chicken salad was made 48 hours before the wedding and sat at room temperature until it was served. Therefore, 65-70 attendees of the wedding fell very ill.

The Louisville newspaper, "The Critic", started to report on the conditions daily of individuals that were affected, and even the ones that resulted in death. Apparently, the couple made it to Cincinnati where they fell sick also and had to check in to an upscale hotel where they were treated. The saddest news of all came on April 30 (16 days after the wedding), the groom died.

This house is still standing and it's absolutely beautiful. In the picture that I found in the Encyclopedia of Louisville, not much has changed except the grounds. One of the main cross streets has been named after the family and the rest of the area has been subdivided into neighborhoods. However, throughout the streets, you will notice concrete posts that were from the original farm house.

I was so excited to find all of this information and can't wait to share this piece of history with my children when they are of a more appropriate age level. It's funny because I've never been interested in history at all. However, this was high up on my interest level. I guess my next search will be on those Indian burial grounds or the haunted ally. (smile)

So, I guess my point of this post is when you hear a rumor - do some research because there might be some truth to it. God Bless and Much Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment