Monday, December 26, 2011

To My Surprise ....

My cousin, Janie, called me the morning of June 27th, 2003. She was always up for a good time and ready to party. She suggested that since my birthday was the next day and I would be leaving on vacation, to meet up at Captain’s Quarters after work. This was a restaurant / bar situated in a high end part of town on the river. I always enjoyed spending time with her, so I agreed. However, I didn’t realize that Brent and Janie planned a Surprise Birthday Party for me. A lot of my really good friends were there and so were my parents to celebrate. It was so much fun!

That night, Brent took me home since … well, lets face it, I was too intoxicated to do so myself. When we pulled into my driveway, it was 11:58 … he asked me to sit in his car until midnight, so that he could be the first person to wish me a happy birthday. That was the night, we had our first kiss. A beautiful relationship started. It felt too good, to be true. Almost like magic or something.
Months went on and our relationship became stronger. Everything was great. He took me to my first Michigan football game, introduced me to his friends, took me on lavish vacations, bought me beautiful gifts – he literally became my everything, the love of my life and my best friend.
That following December, actually Christmas Eve, he felt it was time for me to meet his children. They were so sweet. We took them to go ice skating, the little girl was adorable! She stuck her hand out for me to hold it when we entered the ice. And from that second, I just fell in love with her. I never dated a guy who had children before, and Brent really wasn’t my normal type of guy. But, I was really starting to dig this ready made family.
The following February, we decided to move in with each other. Yes, I admit it …. I was a shacker, but I loved him and never lived outside my parents’ home, so I gave it a try. It was a 2-bedroom apartment. I really had a blast decorating it and buying all new stuff. But, questions started to arise in my head. Family has always been my number one priority, why haven’t I met his family? Or why hasn’t he even talked about them? Why was his ex-wife causing so much grief? And why were mutual friends telling me he was still married? We literally spent every waking minute together - from work, to home, to entertainment. I was so wrapped up in this relationship; I didn’t know what else to do. Other then, believe in him, the one I was head over hills in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment